Hey y'all! Remember me? STILL HERE. I fell off the blogging bandwagon for a while, and I promise I'm back. This "falling off the blog bandwagon" seems to be a theme for me, but, life- ya know? Quick update: I am teaching classes and training clients at Fit Austin and just started working for an amazing organization called F.R.E.S.H. ATX. I have spent these last few months putting a ton of my energy into F.R.E.S.H. and will continue to do so, but I love this blog and the community that follows, so I will not stop! I am also still taking a few clients at Fit Austin. Check out my testimonials and message me if you're interested! We are knee deep into silly season, and I know first hand how hard it is to stay on track during this time. There are never-ending Christmas parties, yummy treats in every crevice of the grocery store, and bottles of wine that you feel need to be finished on a Tuesday. I get it. I shared a bottle of of wine with my husband last night, and I'm not sorry about it! (We usually save the booze for the weekends, not school nights) These are the days where I make sure I am getting a good sweat in. If I wasn't working out during the month of December, I would gain weight, be depressed, feel lazy, and have a constant battle in my head about my health. And that, my friends, is a vicious cycle.
If you've been following me for some time, or you follow me on Instagram, or you're my pal, you know I am all about BALANCE. I don't let the gingerbread men or the extra cocktails of the holiday season get to me. It's the end of the year and I am going to soak up every last minute! As I'm enjoying my holiday cocktails, I am making sure that I am getting my daily exercise in. And by daily exercise, I mean daily go-hard-on-the-paint kind of exercise. The kind that leaves you dripping sweat, cherry faced, and feeling great. No, you can't out-run a bad diet, but you sure as hell can get an extra sweat in to prevent the extra weight gain. Not to mention peace of mind! If I know I have a cheese board I'm about to encounter that evening, I'm doing plyos that morning. Hey- whatever gets you moving, right? Check out my friend Colin's tips on avoiding holiday weight gain. He is spot on!
Here are some more tips I make sure I am doing during the silly season:
- Drink lots of water- we tend to forget when it's cold!
- Sign up for a class
- Grab a workout buddy to hold you accountable
- Have a plan for your workout
- Try to keep your heart rate high for at least 20 minutes of your workout
- Incorporate HIIT, Sprints, or a long run at least 3 times a week
- If you have a late night holiday party, sign up for an early class before your hangover could kick in (probably my best piece of advice, yeah?)
- Sign up/PAY beforehand - nothing worse than wasting $30 on a class you could've been in!
- If your hangover has already kicked in, go on a long walk.
- Aim for 4 workouts per week
- Start Christmas morning off with a 30 minute sweat- enjoy cinnamon rolls and mimosas after.
- What I said about Christmas morning, same goes for New Years Day- START FRESH!
These are simple steps that will help you out this winter. Start jotting down some goals and get after it! I promise you it is much easier to start beforehand rather than play catch up. Let's close our 2016 chapter out strong, and ring in 2017 not having to lose extra holiday weight!