Do you know what the most common question I get when I tell someone I'm a personal trainer? "So, what is the best way to get abs? I'm going to Vegas next week." or, "What is the best way to lift my butt? I'm going to Hawaii in 3 weeks." or, "How do I get rid of this fat on the back of my arms? I have a strapless dress I have to wear in a wedding, tomorrow." Unfortunately, this is close to impossible. Abs aren't going to appear at your pool party next week, your booty isn't going to be perfectly plump on the beach, and you won't have chiseled triceps tomorrow night. Sorry. I am A OKAY with having a goal in mind if you want to get fitter or stronger. Use whatever you can to motivate you to challenge yourself and put that to work! But let's work on making these goals more daily, rather than a few days or weeks out! I'm human, and I will admit that I think about these things all the time, especially when I book a fun, bikini clad trip. However, I know there is no such thing as a quick fix, and we cannot spot reduce parts on our body we want to change. There is no magic pill, magic tea, or magic detox that will make that happen. SORRY 'BOUT IT! So, to make up for the news I just gave you, I'm here today to tell you what you can do to make you feel better if you're on crunch time for your summer vacay.
- Drink water: This will help you feel full, (mindless eating comes from dehydration!) and water will help flush out toxins and extra salt.
- Eat whole foods: Processed foods are awful for your insides and not giving any nutrients to your body. The only thing that truly detoxifies your body is clean eating.
- Go dairy free: Might make your tummy feel better and won't make you feel bloated.
- Cut out sugary drinks: These drinks are empty calories- not worth it!
- Avoid salty foods: Hello swollen fingers. Our bodies like to hold on to salt, if you want to feel less bloated, avoid foods with high sodium.
- Skip happy hour and dessert: Sad but true. Cocktails are empty calories. Absolutely NEED dessert? Grab a couple squares of 70% dark chocolate.
- Drink hot lemon water in the morning: This will help wake up the digestive system and get things moving.
- Eat lean meats, veggies, and quinoa: The perfect veg for not feeling bloated is asparagus.
- DON'T KILL YOURSELF OVER IT AND LOVE YOURSELF!
That last one is the most important, by the way. :)
Look, like I said, I get it. We all want a quick fix. It's 2016 and if we have to wait .3 seconds for a Google search we're already over it. AMIRIGHT. Keep in mind that the detoxes and cleanses you see on the internet can do more harm to your body than good. The best way to "cleanse" your body is by drinking water, eating real foods, and avoiding things that will make you bloated. Let's keep health and fitness in our daily lives so we don't have to stress over our vacation that is next week. ENJOY IT! Here's to loving our bodies and having THE BEST summer!