It's too early. I didn't sleep well last night. I'm stressed at work. I just had such a long day. My kids drove me crazy today. I'm tired. I'm hungry. I have things to do at home. I think I'm getting a headache. I think I have a pain in my knee. I'm hungover. I have awful cramps. It's too hot. It's too cold. I just got a blow out. I'm sore from yesterday's workout. These are a handful of excuses I've heard for not working out! And believe me, I have made some of these excuses on my own. I am human too! Recently, I have been encouraging my clients to do a full blown body check if they find they are coming up with every excuse in the book to miss a workout or two. I have to do the same to myself sometimes too!
Do the full body check:
- Are you sick? If you are genuinely feeling ill, sit this one out.
- Are you sore? Some light cardio will break up the lactic acid and actually make you feel better.
- Are you tired? Exercise gives you energy. Aim for 30 minutes.
- Are you overtrained? Did you train for 8 days in a row? Please, by all means, sit this one out!
- Are you hungover? A little "sweat it out" never hurt nobody! Getting a sweat in will make you feel a whole lot better!
- Do you have a huge To Do list? Taking 30 minutes out of the day to focus on YOU will give your the boost of energy to finish everything on your list. Working out is an accomplishment- you will check off the whole list in no time!
- Is it too hot or too cold? I mean, come on.. get your booty moving!
I always tell myself as well as my clients to aim for 30 minutes of movement. This doesn't have to be 30 minutes of sprints, or heavy weight lifting. Just start walking or jogging and go from there. You usually end up having the best workout you've had in a while because of the energy that you create! I don't know many people who regret a workout. It is a huge energy booster and your body, mind, and soul will thank you later!
So, body check yourself. Are you legitimately tired? Or just being a little lazy? 30 minutes- that is nothing. Get out there and move!