There it goes, whatever alert tone you chose goes off and wakes you up mid-dream. Now you roll over, grab your phone, swipe right to turn the noise off, and go straight to your social media to see what you've missed in the last 6+ hours. Then, you slowly get up, switch on the coffee maker, make breakfast, turn on the news, get ready for work, and make the commute to work, nice and easy. Or, you press snooze so many times that, OH SH*T! YOU NEED TO BE AT YOUR DESK IN 20 MINUTES! You are frantically jumping out of bed, brushing your teeth in panic while you are trying to get dressed at the same time, you sprint out the door forgetting your lunch, and you're stuck in traffic. No need to worry about breakfast- you'll grab that on a quick break, coffee and a donut- works every time. Right? WRONG! I'm here to talk MORNING RITUALS. A topic that may make you want to push snooze, but guess what? We all wake up with the opportunity to have a productive and positive day, and adding a little consistency helps get you in that direction. Everybody is different, so the rituals that I do may not work for you. Having a morning routine boosts your energy, sets you up for a productive day, keeps you organized, confident, and passionate.
Now, I haven't always been a morning person. Growing up, my parents would purposely wake me up earlier because they knew I would groan, "5 more minutes" and until about a year ago, I would purposely wake up earlier so I can press snooze. Now, I wake up 30 minutes earlier to "wake up" by catching up on texts from my friends at home, and scrolling through social media. (a habit that I am working on kicking out of my morning routine, but, baby steps) I know everyone's schedule varies, mine does too! On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, my alarm goes off at 4:30am and I have clients in the morning. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my alarm goes off at 8:00am, (although I'm usually awake when my husband leaves around 7:30) and I have clients in the evening. But I try to keep my days consistent so I can avoid the stress! Here are my morning rituals:
- 4:30am alarm- 20 minutes of social media catch up.
- 4:50am- make bed, unless my husband's still sleeping in it.
- 4:50am- turn on hot water, wash my face, make hot lemon water/ginger/honey/turmeric tea.
- 4:55am-5:15- drink my tea while putting on my make up, packing my gym bag, making a lunch/snack.
- 5:20am- make a green protein smoothie- handful of spinach, 1/2 scoop of protein powder, 1/2 banana, 1 date, 1 scoop of peanut butter, almond/coconut milk, ice.
- 5:35am- brush teeth and catch my bus to work.
- 6:00am- client number 1.
- 8:00am alarm- usually up beforehand, 20 minutes of social media catch up.
- 8:20am- make my bed.
- 8:30am- turn on hot water, wash my face, make hot lemon water/ginger/honey/turmeric tea.
- 9:00am- make breakfast- rolled oats, peanut butter, banana, granola.
- 9:30am- make a pot of french pressed coffee.
- 9:40am- catch up on the news, read articles.
- 10:30am- look over my day, grocery shop/laundry/pick up the flat, etc.
- 11:00am- exercise, program for clients, run errands- basically whatever I need to do until my evening clients.
So there's my weekly grind. 100% different from your mornings, so start small while building your rituals. Do you notice some kind of consistency with mine though? Right when I wake up, I ALWAYS make my hot lemon water tea, make my bed, and have something for breakfast. If your days are different like mine, I suggest you keep AT LEAST 2-3 things consistent. This can be anywhere from drinking a glass of water upon waking up to making your bed. Morning rituals will leave you feeling happy, relaxed, energized, and confident. Set your day up for success! Practicing these rituals could lead to a stress free day, then week, then month, then LIFE!